Submission of applications by erstwhile PIO Cardholders for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Cardholder
This is to inform you that Government of India has now decided to submit of applications by erstwhile PIO Cardholders with valid PIO cards for registration as OCI Cardholders. The following course of action has been decided:-
- The entire OCI application and processing system, including the submission of the application, uploading the requisite documents and payment of fee will be brought online.
- The date for submission of the application for registration as OCI cardholder by the erstwhile PIO cardholders is extended till 31.03.2016. The cutoff date will be only for submission of the applications online by the applicants.
- As on date, all PIO card holders are deemed to be OCI cardholders. Therefore, the erstwhile PIO cardholder with a valid PIO card will have to upload only the following documents with his/her application:-
- Copy of the valid Passport.
- Copy of the PIO Card.
- The applicants can submit the applications online form anywhere. The grant of OCI card in lieu of the PIO card will be on a gratis basis and no fee shall be payable by the applicant.
- The OCI card shall be issued by the Indian Mission within the jurisdiction of the applicant's place of residence. The applicant will have to approach the Indian Mission only for collecting the OCI card by surrendering the PIO Card.
- The steps to be followed by the erstwhile PIO cardholders for registration as OCI cardholders, are as under:-
- Open the website http://www.passport.gov.in/oci/welcome.
- Click on OCI Registration ( in lieu of valid PIO Card ).
- Click on Fresh Application and then fill OCI Registration Form and take print out and then come to the Mission for submission of application with the supporting documents (i.e. copy of valid passport & copy of PIO card)