Greetings to the Visitors of our embassy website.
1. India and Suriname have historic , friendly ties for almost four decades but the relationship is much deeper with Indian diaspora living here for 140 years., who still retain the traditional cultural values.
2. India strongly believes in South -South Cooperation, especially in assisting our International Partners in Human Resource Development. This is reflected in our Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation programme (ITEC) ,under which Surinamese citizens are trained to develop their skills. We also do developmental projects such as construction of power transmission lines, supply of water pumps, fire tenders and coastal equipment through Lines of Credit .
3. Our bilateral trade has increased substantially from USD 14.83 million in 2011-2012 to USD 43.64 million in 2012-2013. There is still an immense , untapped potential to tap into , explore and cooperate together in wide ranging areas such as Agriculture, Energy, Oil and Mineral Resources , Food Processing , Banking , Information and Communication Technology , Pharmaceuticals and Chemicals. The forthcoming Joint Commission Meeting to be held in New Delhi this year between India and Suriname will further discuss various sectors of bilateral cooperation to enhance the relations between our two nations.
4. India with the growth rate of 8% in the last decade and with a recent growth rate of 5-6% in the last two years is a huge market of considerable population with a purchasing power for Surinamese products and Indian investors and entrepreneurs are willing to share their expertise and knowledge and invest in Suriname.
5. Thus there is a win- win situation waiting to be explored and benefitted from by the people of India and Suriname. During my tenure here , it will be my endeavour to enhance the relations between our two countries to a higher plane.